Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Thoughts

A few words on Breakfast. Just as your car works better when it has gas in its tank, your body works better when you give adequate morning fuel. Yet many people push their bodies through a busy day with an empty gas tank. The result is low energy, cravings for sweet foods (Becky, maybe your Red Coke every afternoon), high intake of cookies and treats, and often undesired weight gain. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many of you give me wonderful and all too common excuses for not eating breakfast that include: I don't have time, I am not hungry in the morning, I don't like breakfast foods, Breakfast makes my stomach hurt, I am on a diet and it is the only meal I can easily skip, and the best one; If I eat breakfast I am hungier all day.
Excuses, Excuses!! If you skip breakfast, you are likely to concentrate less effectively in the late morning, work or study less efficiently, fell irritable and short tempered, or fall short of energy for your afternoon workout. These inefficiencies can all cause stress at work or at home, which often times lead to "stress eating." For every excuse to skip breakfast, I have a perfectly logical reason for eating it!!
Think outside of the cereal bowl. If you are not a breakfast eater and enjoy "breakfast foods" then go ahead and enjoy. You will have all day to "burn" those calories off. If you don't enjoy breakfast types of food then get creative. My husband is a non traditional breakfast eater. He will many times eat what ever is left over from last nights dinner for breakfast. For instance, he ate broiled chicken and mashed potatoes for breakfast just this morning. Who says there are rules for what you can and cannot eat as a morning meal? The important thing is that you eat something every morning. We live in a society of convenience, so take advantage, but choose wisely. Breakfast is not an opportunity to go crazy, but an opportunity to fuel up for the day. If you choose not to eat breakfast, you may be setting yourself up for a very difficult weight loss journey! Bon Appetit!!

No comments: