Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Twas the Night before Christmas

My own rendition of a timeless classic. Ahem:

Twas the night before Christmas, whan all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The Asics and Brooks were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there.
The runners were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of marathons danced in their heads.

And Kevin in his 'kerchief', and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I ran like a flash,
Tore open the curtains, it was a mad dash.
The Texas moon gave the road a glow
and lighted the way for Santa below.

When, what to my foggy eyes should appear,
Richard, Susan, and Control top lady running in a pack coming from the rear.
With a group so small and so quick,
I knew in a moment I must be unfit.
More rapid than eagles the pacers they came,
And they whistled and called me by name:
Onward Karrie, they yelled as they passed in a flurry,
As they rounded the curve, I knew they were in a hurry.

To the end of Waketon!! To the top of the hill!!
Now run faster, Run away, Run away All!!

As the dust that before the wild Tornado fly,
When we are met with an obstacle, we run toward the sky,
So up to Quail Run the pacers we flew,
With packs full of Gu, and St. Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the road
the pounding and slogging of each little toe.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around
Down the drive St. Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed in running gear from his head to his foot
and his clothes were all tarnished with sweat and soot;
A bundle of running toys he had flung on his back;
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes--how they twinkled!! His Garmin no less,
His cheeks like roses, he forgot sunblock I guess.
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
The endurox he had was too concentrated, you know!!
The stump of a powerbar he held tight in his teeth,
and the remaining chunks encircled his mouth like a wreath.
He had a chisled face and tight abs he bore,
that shook, when he laughed like waves on a shore.
He was a lean and muscular fit old elf,
and I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
soon let me to know I had nothing to dread.
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
and filled all those Brooks, then turned with a jerk.
And tightening his laces on his shoe,
giving a nod and through the door he flew.
He ran to his group with such delight
And away they all ran like speed of light.

Left huffing and puffing,
I think did I eat too much stuffing?
I wonder could I be dreaming,
but my face was so cold and still beaming!

When it was over and I completed my chore;
my legs, they were so tire and so sore.
As I headed for bed,
my body felt so dead.
I quickly realize this is something never done before;
the control top lady, my competition no more.

But before my head hit the pillow,
I forgot to wave goodbye to Santa, that jolly old fellow.
As I reached to turn out the light,
I heard him exclaim, ere he sprinted out of sight,

"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night"

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Blog on Friends!!

1 comment:

tryathlete said...

I agree. Takent indeed. Merry Xmas.