Search This Blog

Sunday, December 04, 2005

On the road again!!

Our Sunday morning run started something like this: Richard walks up to me and says I should really get a jacket with sleeves. All I have is this fleece vest with a shirt under it. I just looked at him and said, this isn't a running jacket it is just an old windbreaker. I like it because it has pockets. (Although I forgot to zip them and lost my Power Gel, oh well. I didn't need it anyway). Susan comes out and says, do you think I need another layer over my tights. If I had been fully awake, I might have laughed at us. I love cold weather. I even enjoy a cold weather run, but it was really COLD!! We, Texans, are not accustomed to this kind of cold. It seems that we are not accustomed to any kind of weather: hot or cold. Heehee!! I had mentioned to Richard during our first mile that today was either going to be a really good run or a really bad one!! I kept up with those two running rockstars for the first 5 miles (47minutes) and then gave into my fatigue and started walking. Richard offered to walk with me and I told him to go on, that I was okay to walk on my own. I did sort of feel bad asking them to walk for a bit and then giving up just a few minutes later. I think I slowed them down by 10 minutes or so while I was trying to catch my breath and ignore my legs. Thanks guys for waiting for me. Sorry if I slowed you down. I know yall like to take shorter breaks!! I walked and ran a bit more and then a little bit more until I saw Richard driving up to me. I only had about 1/2 mile left. He was going to take me back to my car, but I insisted on continuing on. I knew I could do it and I did not want to quit under any circumstances. Giving up never crossed my mind. This was a new thing for me. A few months ago, I would have gotten angry that I could not keep up and just walked my cold butt back to the car. Today was different. I thought for a split second around mile 7 that I would and could just walk back. It would have been okay since I have not really run in 2 weeks. I've been sick right!!?? No!!!!! Not today. Today I wanted to feel really really positive about what I am trying to accomplish. Finishing time 1:46. Those are 10:30's baby!! Hahaha!!
What am I trying to accomplish?? I don't know yet. I want to complete 2 marathons this spring and lighten the load during the early Summer months. Which ones?? Not sure. Perhaps going back to OKC and maybe one on Feb. I am coaching 2 teams this year and more weekends are filled with volleyball tournaments than are not. I am going to have to get creative with my training schedule. I have one, I was going to share it with Susan but I have not really been following it so I did not share it. I need to devise a plan I can do. Susan want to work on it together??
Great run you guys!! I feel tired and achey. My thighs are screaming!! Dr. P did you do this when you were working with my TFL???
Preworkout: Soy protein powder and water with Glutamine mixed in (this tasted nasty!!)
Breakfast: 1/2 cup measured dry oatmeal, Parkay butter, Brown sugar, banana
Snack: Fresh unsweetened apple juice (I think a cup)
Lunch: Sweet potato baked, butter spray, cinnamon, and brown sugar, fresh sliced turkey meat (3-4oz)
Dinner: Not sure yet.
Weight check in: 164.5

3 comments:

tryathlete said...

Running 10 miles after being ill last week was super. Well done.

Cliff said...

Soy protien water w/ Glutamine sounds nasty. My protien powder never dissolve well in liquid. I use to mix it with milk.

Right now i use protien powder mix with two scoops of yogurt, add a fruit (banana, catalope [the best] or papaya), add milk. This comes to about 500 ml and is usually my recovery drink....

Great run btw...two marathons sound like a lot of fun :)

:) said...

Awesome run...not giving up is the key! You did it!