Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2006

I love Volleyball!!

There is nothing like lighting the fire under my already ferocious competitve spirit like volleyball season!! Today we played in a tournament and did not play as well as we did last weekend!! (my 16's). This team is harder to coach than the 14's last year were. Is it because they already know how to do everything? I am merely a cheerleader who is just lucky enough to stand on the sidelines!! Hahaha!! I know that is not how they see me, but it sure feels that way sometimes!! I realized today that I may not be hard enough on the girls. I am not "direct" enough with them. I am not sure I know how to be harder with out being mean or downright yelling at them. I like to save that for when I really need it. I don't need it everytime the ball goes down. Coaching is my passion for those who don't know. I love to coach. It is hard, frustrating as heck, and I love it. From Thanksgiving until May 1st, I am consumed with what to do next, how to do it better, and if we are improving our skills. My sister has the team I took to nationals last year and they are very good. My 16's I don't think are as good. Right now, my sister is more successful as a coach than I am and I CANNOT STAND THAT!! Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, she is my best friend, but my competitiveness does not want her to be more successful than me!! Now, I realize that I made her team what they are now last year, but still I hate being outed!!!! Oh well, I am hoping that won't last long!! Last weekend my team finished 12th out of 34. This weekend so fare will not finish in the top half of everyone else!! We will finish in the bottom 20 or so. I am hoping somewhere around 20, but we will not finish better than than that due to the fact that we lost today so many times. I am done venting now!!

Tomorrow morning I am finally getting to run again!! I am meeting runner susan and massoman for a 10 mile jaunt. I am fired up about that!! Maybe I can run some of my competitiveness out and get focused for bracket play in the afternoon!!!

I have a friend that gave me a TNT pamphlet and told me I should train for the century ride somewhere!! I passed it off as a joke at first seeing as how I am terrified of falling because I am not very good at getting my shoes off the pedals (I have clippless pedals), but now I am actually thinking about it. I may make her go to an info meeting with me!! Haha. I am afraid I don't have time to fundraise for it. It would be fun to try something new!!! I love running though. I will always be a runner!!

I have got to go to bed if I am going to be of any use tomorrow!!
Blog on friends!!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Coaching is a touch thing. I can never see myself as a coach. I don't know what to say :). I just know how to coach myself. But it looks like you are doing a good job (a part of it). Just look at your sis' team. Now it is just matter of putting that into your team.

What kind of clip are you using (SPD??)? When I first started off using clipless, I had a lot of trouble on my left pedal. The solution is whenever I need to stop (a red light), I would just unclip my right leg. Maybe that would help if you have one leg that is having problems.