Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2006

Ahhh, what a better week!!

As I am running and telling Garmina about my emotional funk we quickly hit the halfway point in our 5 mile run. It really felt great to run with someone again!! I have worked really hard this week on my mileage. This is the highest mileage week I have had since volleyball started!! I think I will hit 30!! Wooohooo!! Thank you Susan for running with me this morning!! I am really glad you didn't cancel, even if we did finish slower than goal. I don't mind, just getting out there was an accomplishment!! We finished in 56:53, slower than normal, but whatever. Given that we talked for 2.5 miles straight, I'd say that was a great pace. Those are 11:23's. Hum, we did it!! I was able to find that wonderful place when we were running this morning. It was so peaceful and there was no stress there!! Ahhh!! Maybe that is why I feel better!! After we ran, I sat in the parking lot and just meditated a bit. I watched the clouds go by and tried really hard to quiet my mind. It was wonderful!!
I want to ride in the Shinerbash Century Ride. Anyone out there know how to register for it??? Do I have to be a Team in Training participant??? I need help all you cyclists out there!! Anyone from Austin area that may want to share tips on this ride might be helpful as well!! And....what is the conversion from running to cycling?? I have heard different things....60 miles on a bike is the equivalent of a marathon, and/or 5 miles on a bike=1 mile of running??? Help, I want a new challenge and a bit of a change but am so incredibly novice on 2 wheels!! I know you guys can help!!
Also, anyone in the Dallas area know of a laid back, no hardcore cyclist yet please, groups to ride with?? I don't want to jump into hardcore yet, I am not ready. I need a group that is sensitive to beginners!! I want it to be fun, relaxed, and invigorating. I am not ready for cut throat racing.

Blog on friends!!!

3 comments:

E-Speed said...

i think you can totally handle a century ride. there are tons of couch potatoes that get out once a year for rides like that so you are definitely fit enough to do it!

I have only done a 50 mile ride but it was fun. I would definitely have to train a bit more for a century, but they aren't like races. You get to stop and eat!!!

Unknown said...

Glad you and Susan had a good run. I agree that it is much nicer to run with others.

Dubs said...

Karrie,

I sent a note to my friend's brother who is quite the cyclist. Here is his advice to you.:

If all she wants is people to ride with then Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson is probably the best place for that. On Saturday mornings they have several rides that leave the store starting at 9 AM. See http://bikemart.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=89 for more information. I would suggest one of these rides depending on her skill level.

Tour de Sachse 9:10 AM 35 miles 17-18 mph avg. East/West leader assisted ride.

Tour de Sachse 9:11 AM 28 miles 16-17 mph avg. East/West leader assisted ride. No drop ride with 5 minute break at Allsups Gas Station on Hwy 78.

Beginner Ride 9:15 AM 12 miles 10-14 mph avg. East/West leader assisted bicycle orientation/training ride. No drop ride with 5 minute break at the Chevron gas station on Renner Rd. and Plano Rd.


A call to the store would be best ahead of time to help her get sorted into the right group. When she arrives at the store then she needs to be sure and ask for the group leader for the ride that she wants to join and introduce herself. That way she won't get left behind or end up on the wrong ride (It can be confusing).

If she wants more than that then I would ask at the Bike Mart for suggestions. They are very involved in the Cycling community and will be able to help her find exactly what she wants.