Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Running Log

Fatigue is a funny thing. It is difficult to determine whether you are actually running slow or if you are just perceiving a slower pace. Susan and I met at 5 to run our usual Wednesday run. We were scheduled for an 8 mile tempo, agreed on 5 miles, and ended up running 4. How does this happen? Well, it goes something like this...
Karrie at Susan's: Good morning
Susan getting into the Jeep: Good morning
silence...
Karrie: I am so tired
Susan: yeah me too
Karrie: Did you sleep much last night?
Susan: Yeah, I did pretty good.
Karrie: I can't believe it is still so hot!!
Susan: Yeah
silence...
We get out of the Jeep:
Karrie: Should we warm up or just go?
Susan: Just go
We walk to the start...silence...
Karrie: I don't really want to do this
Susan: Me either
Karrie: Let's go
Off we went
Mile 1 8:47
Walking interval 1:
Karrie: Wowwee, it is windy
Susan: At least it is not hot
Karrie: I am tired, my legs are so tired
Susan: Mine too
Karrie: Okay let's go
Mile 1.5 14:00
Crossing 1171, guess what? This idiot who is trying to turn left at the light honks at us, who by the way had the light to go ahead and cross the street. Many of you know that I have dealing with some anger issues when running. The anger is mostly projected at the idiots and jerks that have no respect for the rest of the active world. Susan and I almost simultaneously turned around and gave the driver the finger!! Shocking, I know. I am just so tired of these people who are in too big of a hurry to allow pedestrians to cross the stinking street!! The nerve. Again today I was driving down Hebron and this woman was walking across the large intersection and the light changed before she got all the way across. These two cars in front of me didn't honk...they nearly hit her. This woman stops dead in tracks, and is suddenly in the middle of the road and all of these cars are just going around her like she is not even there. Cars are all just dodging her. I was angry and terrified for her. I stopped. We made eye contact and she thanked me with a kind look of gratitude. What is wrong with the drivers of today? I don't get it. Back to the story:
Mile 1.9 (something like 20 minutes)
We have just climbed this evil hill
Walk break 2:
Susan: That hill is killing me. I am going to walk to the top of the hill, I don't care if our minute is over.
Karrie: Me too. Maybe we should just do 3.9. You want to turn around?
Susan: I'd be okay with that.
Karrie: You won't feel guilty later?
Susan: No
Karrie: okay
Walk break 3:
Karrie: I think if we run past our starting point, we will actually get 4 in.
Susan:Okay
Karrie: I would love an extra minute of walking.
Susan: Okay.My allergies are driving me nuts. I didn't rotate my allergy medications this morning. It is tough to even gather myself at 4:30 in the morning. Are you ready? Let's go.
Karrie: Sigh, okay
Mile 4: 39:27
Wow!! I was impressed!! Still am. I never caught my breath or felt great. I still don't. I am tired and feel like I had a very hard workout. Surprise I did. I actually can't believe that we did that well. Maybe I could have pushed through 5 miles, but my legs even right now are so tired. Thank goodness for cross training. At least I won't have to worry about being hit by idiot drivers on the eliptical. Oh, if by chance any of you locals see us out on the road cheer us on. Sometimes we need it and you will be less likely to get the finger!! Hahaha.
Blog on friends!!

No comments: