Search This Blog

Sunday, June 25, 2006

A blast from the past and sweet stress relief!!

Well, I am back from my HS reunion. It was a good time. We kicked off the weekend with a music fest and then a breakfast with a tour. We walked around our newly remodeled high school and talked about how none of us knew where the cafeteria is or was. Hahaha. Saturday night concluded the reunion with a relaxed cocktail party. There were a ton more people there than I thought there would be. I saw some people I was really excited to see and others I couldn't quite remember and others still that I just hadn't thought of since I left high school. I learned that some of my "friends" are now getting ready to be doctors, are dentists, moms, speech pathologists, lawyers, PR people, and a super talented singer headed off to Italy for a few years to perfect her talent even more. It was a nice party. I am however incredibly blessed with my life here. I love my friends and my life here. The reunion reminded me in such a bold face way that I had in fact grown up and out of my insecurities. I am no longer that person that wants to be in the "in crowd". I don't care to put that much effort into all of my relationships. If you like me and we are friends, that is so wonderful. If you don't like me, okay we can move on. I am no longer going to try to make you like me. I will let you go. To pass over a friend because there might be someone else of greater status to talk to is wrong and I won't be a part of that any more. I left that bad habit when I left home. I revisited that this weekend. Or should I say that revisited me this weekend. I will leave it like that.
Today we rushed back so that I could get in an extra open water opportunity. The Irongirls were meeting for some extra practice. It was so great to see so many of us all in one place. We all practiced going out to the buoy and back (400m). I struggled all the way out--the waves were huge!!! Once I got turned around and headed back I felt better but still struggled. Once we all got back to standing the coach said anyone want to try it again? I think everyone said yes and away we went. Round 2. It just go harder. I made it though and got back. Only this time I was more relaxed on the way back. It was great. By the time I was finished, I was shakey and tired. But oh my goodness I felt great and so relieved from a tough weekend. I swam 800m today in a lake, with huge waves!! Wow!!

About the 11 miles on Friday--I ended up walking most of it due to some seriously sore legs. I think maybe I ran about the first 3 miles then hoofed the rest. I actually only completed 8.5 to be honest. I ran out of time. Too slow!! I had not felt that stiff and sore since Chi town marathon. I felt better by Saturday and not sore at all today. So a frustrating and very difficult (mentally) 8.5miles but it is done.

Blog on friends!!
Oh:
PS: Welcome to my blog everyone who has just joined in. (I learned that several people I graduated with from HS have actually been reading my blog!!) So again--welcome. Stay as long as you like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun at your reunion. I really enjoyed mine a while back. I was hesitant to go, but was glad I did. It is nice to realize that you ar beyond all that stuff, isn't it?

Isn't it surprising how many people read your blog that actually "know" you? People are always telling me that they read mine, and I had no idea because they never comment. It's nice to know poeple want to read what we have to say, huh?

Dubs said...

Hi! I'm still lurking and checking out your blog every so often.. finally healed & getting back in shape (knock on wood)! Your dedication is inspirational!

Anyway - about the sore muscles.. EAS has a powder called Cytovol. Fruit Punch flavor is good. Anyway, you mix it up with water and it is a glucosamine recovery that helps your body recover faster so you are not sore. You might want to give it a try - it really helps me for when I'm getting back in shape or really overdid it one day.

The cheapest places I've found to buy it is Smoothie King or Vitamin Shoppe. Good luck!

Dubs said...

Hey - just so you know - changed my name to my old nick-name "Dusty" since I am playing around with blogging and would rather be anonymous to others. :)
-Emily

D said...

Ditto what Susan said.

massoman said...

the people i'm interested in seeing from high school...well there aren't any, really. the 2 times people from back then have emailed thru classmates confirmed it. high school wasn't much fun. i suspect many other people feel the same. i like my life, friends now a great deal.