Search This Blog

Sunday, June 04, 2006

400m, 5K, 14miles and 9more

Okay let's start with Friday. I went to the open water swim clinic at the lake with the irongirls. I was presented with a challenge. Do you want to swim to the buoy and back--says my coach? I responded by saying how far is it? About 200m. So out and back is a 400? Yep. Wanna try it? Okay why not. So I started off by myself. I got about 1/3 of the way out and then thought to myself, I am going back. So I did. I struggled back. We tooled around near the shore when another coach said, anyone else want to try it. I was determined to make it to that buoy. I wanted to go for it. I did and she followed. Along with another irongirl we set out for a buoy. We stopped half way to re assess the situation. We decided to procede. At this point I was starting to struggle. How could this be? I have been working so hard in the pool. Anyway, we made it to the turn around spot. The infamous buoy. I hung onto that thing for dear life. I actually sunk it a bit. The coach quickly said to get off of it, other swimmers are siting it. Oops, okay. I won't lie to you all, it was ugly. I made it back to the shore, but not before I reached a state of panic and terror. Not so much that I would drown but that I would be able to catch my breath enough to swim back. I spent more time treading than swimming. I need more practice. I left the swim clinic a bit frustrated but boosted as well. I mean I have been working really hard in the pool and you totally could not even tell. I guess I need more practice. The really great thing about it is that I made it. Swimming unlike cycling or running you don't get a break. Even when you stop swimming you still have to tread, work. With running you can slow down and walk, cycling you coast, swimming you tread--not quite the same kind of break. Hum. I made it, and that is what counts.
Saturday morning Massoman's BW and I participated in the Race for the Cure. OMG was it crowded. There were a ton of strollers and baby joggers. I realize that they are welcome, but they did not line up where they were supposed to. We got to the race a tad on the late side, but I am not sure I would have wanted to get there much earlier. BW needed to pick up her race chip and number so we waited in line and then lined up to start the race. We stood at the start line for nearly 30 minutes before starting. Talk about some hot and grumpy people. Why they delayed the start is unknown, but I will tell you that 30 minutes makes a difference in temperature. Finally we got started around 9:00 (supposed to have been 8:30). BW and I started with 3:1's. We ended up just running as long as BW could go and then walking a bit. It was tough to pace. She did a wonderful job!! We finished in 38:50. Wooohooo!! It was her first 5K. I think she is inspired to try another one, but wants to shave some more time off her pace first. I would be glad to run with her again. I had a great time.
After the race I was still scheduled for a 1.5-2 hour ride. Hotty hubby and I went after a short rest. It was hot, and I had the worst attitude. I really did not want to go. I'm glad he made me go though. I did get pretty sunburned. Hohum. We got in 14 miles in just under 1.5hours (slow!!)
Sunday
This morning I got up early to run 9 miles. I traveled to White Rock lake to meet up with the irongirls. I was way early, but did not mind because they were only going 3-6 and I needed 9 to stay on track for the marathon. I did an out and back in hopes to run into some of them on the way back when I was I tired. It worked. By mile 8 I was ready to quit. Just as I was about to take a break, I heard from behind me:
"Pick it up girl, don't quit." I whipped my head around and was greatful to see my training buddies. They were on their way back. They asked how much further I had and told me that they'd carry me back. Thank goodness they did. I was so ready to just walk the last mile. I finished running 12:30's. I made my goal. I wanted to be faster than 13 min/miles. I made it. Next long run, I'd like 12's. We'll see. I will just take it one step at a time.


My heart and thoughts go to those finishing up the San Diego Marathon today!! Way to go guys!!
Blog on friends!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am right there with you on the swimming. I would not even attempt swimming out 400m in open water. I would drown for sure.

SRR said...

Kudos to you! I just admire swimmers...I'd sink...I'm much better just sitting by water with baby oil in one hand!

Cliff said...

I swim open water for the past few weeks. Yes, it is a dreadful expererience.

In the pool, I can swim 1 km. The frist time i got in open water, barely 100 m. But the more I use to it, the more I swim further. For me, it is all mental. Not sure where the bottom is, not sure what that stuff I am feeling, not sure if there is bacteria in the water, not sure if there are sharks looking for some easy meat. :D

Do you swim with a wetsuit? I find the shoulder is a bit restictive. But slowly I am getting use to it and enjoying it. Just last night, I did about 750-1000 m (not continous). Good stuff...

It is godo that you swim in a group. I was stupid and my first few swim was by myself. Too dangerous.

KT said...

I am doing a tri in August, and the swimming is a huge struggle. I have asthma, so the breathing freaks me out, and then I get panicked, and so on and so forth. Crap!

Anyway, nice to see I'm not the only one.