Search This Blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

What a great day!!

I need to catch up. I must warn you all though, I am back to my normal happy go lucky, perpetually positive self. Thank goodness. All of those deep thoughts are a bit overwhelming. I agree with Robtherunner though about his comment on my last post. I don't think that the running is my purose so to speak but it is the relationships that I build through running that might the right path. Anyway, I digress.
Friday
Open water swim. I did not feel that great in the water. I struggled the whole 500m. The water was great, no huge waves. I did it only once.
Saturday
Mock Tri. I had a crappy night's sleep. Woke up around 4:15am and could not go back to sleep. I finally got up around 6:00am and got ready to go meet the Irongirls. I went down stairs to load up my bike and forgot Nikko's crate was still in the Jeep. It is usually hotty hubby's job to take the crate out. Anyway, since it was 6:30am (by now) and he was asleep I made a valient effort to get it out when I sliced my finger open. I remember thinking, "yeah, this is a great way to start the day!!" Blood running down my hand, I was furious and still very tired. I got the crate out and ran upstairs to clean my hands up. I was awake and ready to go. I was not about to let this get in the way. I finally hit the road around 7:00. We had a transition clinic for the first hour. I had no idea how technical this was. Everything has to be stacked a certain way and in such a small place. Oh, and your bikes have to be lined up a certain way. Also something I did not even think about. Finally around 9am we started our mock tri. We started with a swim. That was interesting because this was the first time we had a "start". We all lined up and then took off swimming. I can tell you that the middle of the pack is not where I wanted to be. It freaked me out a bit when I kept getting kicked and hit, but I just slowed down and did the breastroke until I was able to calm down. Finally when everyone sort spread apart, I was able to pick back up with the swim. It only took me 14 minutes. (This might be really slow for some of you, but remember this is my first tri--I am a bit anxious.) We got out and ran to our bikes. I took a little longer than I wanted to wash off my feet and get my shoes on. I was off quickly though. We rode this 11 mile route. I think it took me just under an hour. I kept getting lost (missing arrows and such). I did not print the directions because I was under the impression that we'd all be together. I figured I'd just follow everyone....wrong!!! I was by myself for awhile, but at one point I heard someone screaming out. I looked back only to find I was off course. Our coach sort of floated around between riders to try to keep us on track. He'd give me directions and I would forget them before he was finished telling me. I just kept getting lost. A lot of stopping and turning around. I don't think I rode as well as I could have. Also, I was getting pretty hot. I wore my black tri shorts and a black sport bra. Bad move!! Even though I was half naked, black is still not a good choice. I figured since I was wearing very little color would not matter. I am changing my opinion. Anywho. By the time I was finished with the swim and bike it was 10:30 or so. I am telling you, it was hot hot hot!!! I opted out for the run. There was no shade and one big hill. I am wondering if it was the black, the heat, not enough sleep, cramps, not enough fuel or food the night before that caused me to crap out. One other Irongirl skipped the run as well. I was left feeling proud, guilty and freaked out. I was proud that the swim felt easier than the bike (usually the easiest for me). Guilty for skipping the run. Freaked out about how I am going to make it through the triathlon. This is the first time I am second guessing myself. I hope I will be fine. I have made some adjustments to my trianing to get me out in the heat a bit more. I have registered for an 8k on Tuesday morning, 27mile ride/rally on Saturday and a short Duathlon on Sunday (2mile run/9.6mile ride/2mile run). I am forcing myself to get acclimated. I have also invested in trying a few electrolite mixes. Heed, ELoad, and Endurolytes (caplets). I have tried Heed before and wasn't crazy about it. Never tried Eload. I have tried the Endurolyte powder but also, wasn't crazy about it. I tried the Hammer products during running but again wasn't crazy about them. I am curious about how they sit on the bike.
Today
My friend PM, Hotty hubby and myself rode 18.2miles this morning. It was gorgeous. There was nice breeze. We met at 8:00 and rode to the Gaylord Texan. That is always a nice ride. Hotty hubby struggled a bit. He is feeling under the weather (sore throat, runny nose and he says his lungs burn a bit). I am wondering if it is allergies?? Likely. Anyway we finished in 1hour 19 minutes and 37 seconds. My G mini said 13.7mph, PM's computer said 13.8mph. I did try out a new bike this morning and loved it!!! It is older and way modified so to tell you what kind it is would not be of much help. It is a lot lighter and smoother than mine (which is in the shop being worked on). I might invest in it. I don't even feel like I worked out today. Legs are great, back isn't sore anymore and cramps are gone (for the most part). I only wish I could have done the mini tri today instead of yesterday. I feel so much better. Oh, just for my own sake of journaling, I must review the bra I tried out. I wore a yellow and white New Balance bra with clasps and mesh on the back. I have a red and black one already but remember I am trying to avoid black. I like it. It came as a recommendation from a sponsored triathlete. I did notice a difference in temperature. So that was helpful. The only thing I was not crazy about was the cleavage factor. I am a fairly modest woman and don't want all of my goods just hanging about. The other thing I was worried about was the see through factor. When it gets wet, will it be see through? This reminds me of a Friends episode wear Monica is singing on a stage in a bar full of men. They are just cheering her on and on so she stays up there. Chandler walks in and sees her on stage and immediately runs up to there too. He starts standing in front of her and getting in the way. Monica starts to get really mad because everyone is still cheering her on. Finally Chandler tells her why they are all actually cheering for her. Her shirt and bra are totally see through and she has been showing her "headlights" to a whole bar full of men. That is really why they were cheering her on. She was humiliated and ran off the stage. Let's just say I am not looking for that kind of adventure. Hahaha!!!

Blog on friends!!

3 comments:

Dubs said...

Sounds like the mock tri was great -- you learned a lot and will be even more prepared for the next one. Also helps you guage how you are doing -- which I think sounds like you are doing great!

You could put on the new running bra and get in the shower then look in the mirror if you want to test it out before hand -- that is probably what I would do -- last thing you need to do is be distracted wondering if you are showing your goods while trying to race or even workout! haha!

D said...

Your training and drive are so impressive!! Happy 4th to you as well.

Cliff said...

Marathena,

Just getting caught up with yoru blog...your past post about your purpose..i have been thinking about taht as well.

In fact, i just came back from a Church camp where the theme is purpose driven life..finding your purpose.

One point that I like to include was from the speaker. He said that your passion..if it doesn't connect ppl ain't what GOd has in store for you. The reason is that what God care most is about is His ppl. He doesn't care about my job, my accomplishments, my training, my car..He cares about His ppl.

Bringing this with endurance sports, I do feel there is so much passion with the running/biking/cycling for wee hours. The question for myself is...i) how can i refine my focus such that I can use this sport to connect to ppl and bring them to Christ. If I can't do that, then this sport ain't really that much important.

I am still starting my purpose..u know, some ppl will take years and decades to find their purpose. This ain't a weekend thing that you can go to a camp and hammer it out. Life and God doesn't do it that way..s.ometimes there is progress and sometimes there is obstacles. But as of now, I do discover that the love for endurance is there...my next step is to find how i can use this for the Glory of God.

happy july the 4th.