Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mycoplasma

Unlike bacteria, the Mycoplasma has no cell wall. This enables it to invade tissue cells, incorporating the cell's nutrients, and using the cell to replicate itself (much like a retrovirus). When the Mycoplasma breaks out of the cell, it takes a piece of the host cell membrane with it. When the immune system attacks the Mycoplasma, it also gets "turned on" to attacking the host cell. In this way, an autoimmune condition can begin. Autoimmune conditions associated with Mycoplasmas include arthritis, fibromyalgia, myositis, thyroid dysfunction (Hashimoto's or Grave's Diseases), and adrenal dysfunction, signs and symptoms of Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's Disease.

The Mycoplasma organism has the capacity to invade cells, tissues and blood, producing systemic infections in numerous organ systems. According to Dr. Nicholson, it can penetrate the central and peripheral nervous system. Because it has the ability to damage the immune system by invading the natural killer cells (NK cells) of the lymphocytes, it weakens them, reduces their numbers, and renders them susceptible to viral infections, such as Human Herpes Virus 6 (HHV6). It may also explain some of the environmentally sensitive responses that are seen with CFIDS and MCS.

I have had this infection for about 10 years or so. We think. All I know is that I met up with this Neurologist and have not felt this good in a really long time. I did not think that this thing was affecting my everyday life and it was!! I can get up in the middle of the night and not feel drunk, I don't have the strobe light sensation when closing my eyes that I did, I have an abundance of energy, and my endurance is so much better!! It is crazy!!

This morning has been full!! I was scheduled to run with one of my co workers~we'll call him Superman~ and he stood me up. I went home and took Little Man and Nikko for a 3 mile run. I am a bit tired today, so it wasn't fast (about 43 minutes). Plus, I am 2 weekends away from my big race and am not ready to push myself really hard yet. I came back to the Y and helped teach boot camp. After that I taught Tai Chi, and will teach Cycle here in a bit. Tuesdays and Thursdays are typically like this now and it can get very exhausting. Anyway, my run this morning was good. I love the smell of spring. I am worried about the heat coming on so early, but then again, isn't it about time for it to get warm?

Tomorrow is Little Man's first birthday. I am so excited!! We are having a party this weekend at a local park. All of our family is coming in and a few friends are going to help us cook out and play!! It is going to be so much fun!! I can't wait to share some pics!!

Everyone should go outside and play today!! It is beautiful...especially if you are in the North Tejas area!!

Blog on friends!!

1 comment:

Runner Susan said...

Isn't this the same thing they found out that Gulf War vets had?

I'm glad you are feeling better, Karrie.