Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I need an update!!

Runner Susan if you visit me, I am in need of a serious update!! Can you help me update my blog?

Now for the serious update!! As it turns out my sweating thing is not such a cool trick!! I have been seeing a new Neurologist/Opthomologist and he has discovered the secret behind it all!! I am being treated for a micro organism called Mycoplasma. It is airborn and there is absolutely no way to determine how I picked it up. Stranger than strange...hotty hubby and little man don't have it. Without treatment, it would have eventually killed me. But now I can live forever!! Haha. I take a heavy dose of medication every morning and after a month, I can say, that maybe I don't hate Texas after all. My eyes are better, I have very little speach issue anymore, and my neurological jitteryness is gone. But wait, before you ask, no I still don't sweat on my right side. Which poses the question: Am I still heat intolerant?

That is the perfect intro into topic number two: LoneStar Half Iron Man Triathlon.

Feeling miserable in my post baby body, I sat with hotty hubby and decided that I would in fact train for a long distance tri. Am I crazy? Maybe...but it has been fun! I actually started training in January and have stuck with it. I feel awesome. My post baby love is still hanging around my body, but I figure it is the high dose of Prednisone I am on. That will be decreased again soon and I will drop the lbs. My race is Sunday, April 5 in Galveston. I could not be more excited. We have postponed any and all other races to save for this one. Runners beaware, once you cross over to the dark side of triathlon, you will go broke!! Between the wetsuit, the race entry, the bike maintainence, and all of the gel and food you need, you will need a second or third job just to pay for it!! I will keep you all posted!!

My run last weekend was particularly exciting. I was scheduled for a really long brick, but decided to switch the days and run. So I was scheduled for a 2 hour run. I ran the entire time!! I am not sure if I have ever done that. Before you start thinking to yourself wow that is fantastic, I was so slow. I only ran 8 miles, but I ran it!! I have been adhering to a very strict training regimen following a different way of training your body. I workout at a very low heart rate. My zone is 130-144bpm. That is approximately 65-75% of my max. If I go above that, it would take too long to recover and I would not be ready for my next run, swim or ride. In theory, this actually makes you run faster over time. I was a sceptic. When I first started I walked most of my sessions and stayed with in my zone. Now, I run 15min miles and stay in my zone. Now at the race, I will need to keep in my zone until mile 6 of the run. After that, all bets are off and I can run faster if, I can.

I will say this: I am faster. I have been cheating a little on this plan and have added a 3 mile tempo run one day a week over the last couple of weeks and taaadaaahhh, I am a 10:05 pacer. At least for 3 miles. My heart rate was obviously too high on those runs, but the plan is working. Cool.

Little man is awake and summoning me for some breakfast!! I love having a little one!!
Blog on friends!!

1 comment:

Runner Susan said...

I was so excited to see your post and get your comment! I need to know more about your Mycoplasma, how long have you had it? so odd, but i'm glad you know what it is and it is treatable.

Congrats on the tri training! You are doing awesome.

And yes, we'll update your blog.